We will have “7 Teal Takes” in honor of Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
1. First, a pretty picture!
2. What are the symptoms of ovarian caner? Bloating/feeling full quickly; pelvic or abdominal pain; abdominal swelling with weight loss; frequent or urgent urination; painful intercourse; unexplained changes in bowel habit; fatigue; family history of cancer. If you experience these symptoms, go to the doctor. Be persistent, the earlier it is diagnosed, the better the chances for survival. FYI, pap smears do not detect ovarian cancer.
3. Some towns are turning TEAL in September. Find out if your community is participating by going to the Turn the Towns Teal website.
4. Diane’s Voice is a website run by the organization of the same name which was founded as the dying wish of my dear friend who died in June of 2011.
5. Gilda Radner died of ovarian cancer in 1989. One of her dying wishes was that there could be support groups for people and their families struggling with cancer. There are some 30 of these ‘clubs’ across the country. This is Gilda’s Club, South Florida.
6. Some links: National Ovarian Cancer Coalition; Ovarian Cancer Awareness; Ovarian Cancer National Alliance
7. A prayer from the opening event of Diane’s Voice, Inc.
God our Creator and guide, thank you for bringing us together on this day as we begin our journey, our mission. We ask you to send wisdom to those who seek a cure for ovarian cancer and compassion to the doctors and nurses who care for those who are sick. Be with the families and friends of all those who suffer. To those who are sick, give them strength and courage. And for those who have died, we ask that they be forever in your company.
God, grant us good judgment as we set out to be Diane’s Voice to educate others about ovarian cancer. Help us to be the hands that serve and the hearts that love so that our voices are heard. Amen.
More Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!
7 Quick Takes